Thursday, May 16, 2013

Installation: Old Nations, Lost Nations

 This was the map used to locate installation staging areas. Gray stars indicate changed sites.



I installed my ceramic creations this morning, keeping notes on where I had placed them so that I could produce a map rendering for my installation participants to find the pieces themselves. I had the presence of mind to obsessively photograph these mini installations, because I was bested by the experts in the business...ironically, a busload of children were exiting the installation site (a park) as our class critique convened. The space was much changed. 5 out of the 8 sites were noticeably altered, 4 were completely gone. This occurred in less than 6 hours.

He also disappeared



 It was my intent before hand that these figures would not just decompose. During critique we searched for the installations indicated on the map and sometime they wouldnt be there. My installation participants searched and found pieces of pottery, assembling them back in their rightful places in a a reverent way. There is something gratifyingly human in this act - our unique and most charming idiosyncrasies as a species - about wanting to put something back together again, even if we have no knowledge of how it would have existed prior to our discovering it.


Duck Nation, gone without a trace


 Other installation sites revealed tender interactions. In one where I had placed an arrangement of bowls, a campfire, and animals to accompany the scene. I noticed today, bits of grasses were deliberately stuck into the bowls, some were gathered to the terracotta flames of the bonfire, and even the terracotta animals surrounding the camp-fire scene appeared to have been dining on little grass salads....








No comments:

Post a Comment